Friday, September 6, 2013

Today My First Born Child Turns 16 Years Old

      Garrison - 16

I don’t know if I ever imagined what it would be like to have a “16” year old son but if I did - this wasn’t it.  Whatever you imagine, it rarely matches the actual experience.

I am in the midst of a whirlwind of teenage angst, obsession, apathy, strong will, and rebellion. 

And I am watching him navigate through it all toward his own personal adulthood.  He is learning-about himself, about life.  
And I am learning too.  I am learning A LOT about life, myself, and, even my past through him.

 As we journey through (and I do mean WE) this adolescent stage of life I have never leaned on Christ more for guidance and patience and peace.  But I understand more clearly what unconditional love for a child means from a parent.  I am beginning to grasp the true unconditional love the Heavenly Father has for us through Christ.  And I am learning how to love my children as Christ loves me.

Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139:16

It’s hard, sometimes.  Yes, I love my son all the time. But at times it takes an effort.  I have to try.  Sometimes I just I don’t feel it.  Teenage boys can be so difficult!
 I figured out that a lot of my struggle to show and feel love comes from fear.  Fear of what he will become.  Fear of his mistakes and fear of the consequence he might face. The ones that I should have faced, at times, when I was young but was spared.   Fear that I am now seeing the fruits of my labor or lack thereof.  The poor first born child!

The word of the Lord came to me, saying,
Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, Jeremiah 1:5

So I look to the example of God our heavenly Father. Who loves me unconditionally, despite my angst, obsession, apathy, strong will and rebellion towards Him.  I look to Him who sees not my mistakes or sin or bad judgment or adolescent behavior but sees ME.  Just me.  The one He created and formed and always knew.  And He loves me the same.  Always.  Effortlessly.
 And He has no fear. He knows me.  And He knows my son and what he will become.  And He is still not afraid.  All He sees is his beautiful creation and
He loves us just for that.  And through leaning on Christ I can push aside the fear and allow that love to really show and allow myself to really feel it too.  And I am beginning to see my son for the person he is.  The one God created like no one else.  And I can be free of the fear.  Free to just love him. This child is a gift, a beautiful gift from God.  The less I fear, the more I see that. 
 I don’t know what our future holds.  But I don’t have to know.  All I have to do is rely on Christ and to love my son as Christ loves me.  That is what I am called to do.

It’s hard parenting a teenager.  Wow, is it ever!   But I am so grateful for it.  I am grateful for the journey, the gift, and the lessons along the way.
 I am so grateful for the son I have and all that he is-just as he is.  He is God’s creation.  Made perfect through Christ.  And he is a gift to me.

Happy 16th Birthday Garrison. I LOVE YOU. 

September 5, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment