It warmed my heart to hear that the Bloomfield Halloween Parade will go on this year.I was upset when I heard that it was cancelled. And quite saddened by the anger and disparaging comments that surfaced about those in charge and those responsible for not making it happen.
I, and I think many others, never really thought about the parade NOT happening.
Probably because I, like many others, never really thought about what all goes into making it happen. I'm guessing it is A LOT. A lot of money, a lot of planning and a lot of people to pull together.
Growing up in Bloomfield, I have fond memories of the Halloween Parade. As an adult I have appreciated this wholesome, family-oriented, neighborhood event that my own children could experience.
And even now that my kids are older, I still go. I take the long walk down Liberty Avenue to the same spot, to see the same people that I know will be there every year. The sidewalks are always packed as this one-of-a-kind parade draws hundreds of people, families, politicians, musicians and great high school bands from all over our region.
NOT THE PARADE!
And even now that my kids are older, I still go. I take the long walk down Liberty Avenue to the same spot, to see the same people that I know will be there every year. The sidewalks are always packed as this one-of-a-kind parade draws hundreds of people, families, politicians, musicians and great high school bands from all over our region.
Bloomfield is known for this Parade. It's what they do. And do well.
It's fun. It's big. It's at Night!
And it's October. So it's that time again. To hear that it was cancelled seemingly so abruptly was disconcerting. It was, for some, disconcerting enough to spark a swift and desperate response to get it back.
NOT THE PARADE!
'Well," one could say, "There are bigger things to worry about. It's just a parade. "
It is. And so much more.
It is. And so much more.
The Bloomfield Halloween Parade is a tradition. And for the last 48 years, It's been a good one. It has always been there for us.
When we awaken to news of mass shootings, and natural disasters bearing down on our fellow citizens and the general state of our country in turmoil, we need to have good things still there for us.
And right now, the 'bigger things we worry about' are precisely why we need our parade.
Yes, there are more important things we could spend our time and money on. But this parade, for so many, is something that is good. Good for the community and good for our souls. And we need that right now.
The parade unifies us. Even in nothing more than a night out in the neighborhood, it brings unity. Once a year at the same place with a lot of the same people gathering together with one thing in common:
The parade unifies us. Even in nothing more than a night out in the neighborhood, it brings unity. Once a year at the same place with a lot of the same people gathering together with one thing in common:
We are all just here for the parade.
Together, we watch the stream of high school bands and color guards marching in unison. We watch children in carefully crafted costumes walking in the parade and know that it will be a special memory of their childhood. Not a fearful one.
And, together, we love to applaud the Veterans as they go by beaming with reverence and pride for our flag and country.
And, together, we love to applaud the Veterans as they go by beaming with reverence and pride for our flag and country.
Together, we watch Police Officers and Firefighters, not in the midst of a disaster, but just waving and throwing candy to the kids. Their lights and sirens are on just for show.
We aren't solving any problems tonight. We are all just here for the parade.
We aren't solving any problems tonight. We are all just here for the parade.
I certainly would have gotten by without it, but it felt good to know that the parade was back on. Tradition restored. It will still be there for us like it always has been.
So I want to say THANK YOU to all of those who, for all of these years, have made it happen and made it great!
And all of those who worked hard to bring it back: THANK YOU.
And those who will make it happen again this year: THANK YOU.
And all of those who worked hard to bring it back: THANK YOU.
And those who will make it happen again this year: THANK YOU.
I will be there, standing where I always do, with many of the same people, once again enjoying a great tradition in the neighborhood I love.
Mary G.C.
Mary G.C.
No comments:
Post a Comment